ISSN 2149-2263 | E-ISSN 2149-2271 Home      
 
Volume : 20 Issue : 4
Current Issue Archive Popular Article Ahead of Print

   
Quick Search





 
Pulmonary hypertension experience in an expert university hospital [Anatol J Cardiol]
Anatol J Cardiol. 2018; 20(1): 35-40 | DOI: 10.14744/AnatolJCardiol.2018.60252  

Pulmonary hypertension experience in an expert university hospital

Ümit Yaşar Sinan1, Rengin Demir2, Ismail Polat Canbolat4, Mert Palabıyık1, Ayşem Kaya3, Mehmet Serdar Küçükoğlu1
1Department of Cardiology, İstanbul University Institute of Cardiology; İstanbul-Turkey
2Department of Cardiopulmonary Physiotherapy, İstanbul University Institute of Cardiology; İstanbul-Turkey
3Department of Biochemistry, İstanbul University Institute of Cardiology; İstanbul-Turkey
4Department of Cardiology, İstanbul Bilim University Şişli Florance Nightingale Hospital; İstanbul-Turkey

Objective: Pulmonary artery hypertension (PAH) is characterized by remodeling of the small pulmonary arteries, leading to a progressive increase in pulmonary vascular resistance and right ventricular failure. In this study, we aimed to share our 10 years of experience dealing with pulmonary hypertension (PH) and provide information in real-life settings in terms of demographics, clinical course, PH subgroup distribution, and treatment patterns in patients with PAH in a tertiary center.
Methods: In this retrospective, single-center, observational study, we screened the patients who applied to PH outpatient clinic of İstanbul University Institute of Cardiology due to the suspicion of PAH between 2008 and 2017. While group 1, 4, and 5 PH patients were included, group 2 and 3 PH patients were excluded from the study.
Results: Our study group comprised 162 patients (115 females, 71%). The female: male ratio was 2.4. The mean age was 52±16 years. Most (86.4%) of the patients were in group 1 PH (PAH). The rest (13.6%, n=22) of the patients were in group 4 PH (chronic thromboembolic PH). In group 1 PH, 45.7% of patients (n=64) were classified as having idiopathic PAH (IPAH) after excluding the alternative diagnosis using PH diagnostic algorithm. The remaining 54.3% of group 1 PH patients (n=76) had various diseases that caused PAH, which is called associated PAH (APAH); APAH group included PAH associated with congenital heart diseases (n=70), connective tissue disorders (scleroderma, n=4) and portal hypertension (n=2).
Conclusion: Our data provides important information in real-life settings in terms of demographics, clinical course, PH subgroup distribution, and treatment patterns in patients with PAH in a reference tertiary center in Turkey.

Keywords: pulmonary arterial hypertension, pulmonary vascular disease, chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension, demographics, pulmonary arterial hypertension associated with congenital heart disease


Ümit Yaşar Sinan, Rengin Demir, Ismail Polat Canbolat, Mert Palabıyık, Ayşem Kaya, Mehmet Serdar Küçükoğlu. Pulmonary hypertension experience in an expert university hospital. Anatol J Cardiol. 2018; 20(1): 35-40

Corresponding Author: Ümit Yaşar Sinan, Türkiye


TOOLS
Full Text PDF
Print
Download citation
RIS
EndNote
BibTex
Medlars
Procite
Reference Manager
Share with email
Share
Send email to author

Similar articles
PubMed
Google Scholar




 
 
KARE Publishing | Copyright © 2018 Turkish Society of Cardiology